Friday 22 October 2010

Magazine Front Cover Evaluation


The camera angle I used in my magazine front cover was a medium close-up image, I captured the picture at a slightly low angle and the connotation of this is to show that they are in power. This wasn’t an obvious camera shot of a low angle but if you look carefully it is slightly at a low angle. The students are holding a note pad which represents that they are talking about there education. When I was taking my images I took into consideration that my image needed to be about education because I wanted it to reflect my institution which I feel it did do so.

The mise-en-scene of this image shows the background being the college which contrasts with the students holding a book which may contain work inside it that they are discussing. I used a background image of the new building at Wyke College because it shows that the college is very well presented, clean and tidy, also it will attract peoples attention to a college that is represented as well as this one. I decided to place the image of the college because it represents a new and modern college, this may be read by the students parents or guardians when they take the magazine home which will give them a positive side of the college and how well it is presented to the students. The masthead that I used is a large and bold font. It has a border around it with colour which makes it stand out from the rest of the page, it is a good text size, font and colour as it is easy to read. This is shown by the text that is used as it has a lot of affective colours used such as purple bold outlines.

The catch phrase “strive to be ambitious” shows that the target audience it is aimed at is for people who are wanting to achieve what they want and work hard to get what they want at this college.

I have designed this magazine cover to be aimed college students at Wyke College who are ambitious to learn and strive through education.

The target audience for this magazine is for students that would work hard and be ambitious about there education, also the name Wyke College is used twice which shows that it is all about this college to go to for an excellent education.

The representation on this magazine cover is aimed at any gender as the image shows, there is a female and male gender displayed as student models.

The conventions that I used in my layout design for my magazine cover were very normal and to the professional standard such as the masthead that was created and placed was in a original and normal place in the top center of the page, where as if I had located this in the center of the page it wouldn't of had the same affect as my final design had.

A disadvantage of my final design and creation of my magazine front cover was that I used green screen to capture an image of my college students. This is a bad idea because in my final design the hair of the female student had tiny parts of green which I couldn't amend or edit as Adobe Photoshop doesn't allow you to edit small amounts of the background area. If i was to do my students images again I would make sure that I do not use a green, or even any coloured background. I would make sure that it is in the same area of the background location so that it does not stand out of the main final image for my magazine cover.
disadvantages of green screen

No comments:

Post a Comment